JesseCapelli.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Farenheit 9/11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
troyholc

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Farenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

It was suggested I post this over here. Didn't think about it on the original post. Thanks for reminding me, MasterJedi! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone:

Alley brought it up and since it has little to do with the NEW POPE topic, I thought I would start a new topic. Here's some questions I was wondering:

1. Have you seen Farenheit 9/11?

2. Have you seen Farenhype 9/11?

3. Did your choice to see/not see either of the above films because of your political views or already formed ideas from the press coverage?

4. What is your opinion on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan?

5. Was your opinion changed at all by either film, or by someother media (like these message boards)?

This can be hot button topic, but it seems to me from other post everyone hear respects that these are people's opinions.

Here are my answers:

I have seen both, although not in the theater. I chose not to see Farenheit 9/11 in the theater (Farenhype was never in the theater, at least not in my area) because I had heard Michael Moore on many news programs and didn't want to give him the $10 from the theater. Renting it for $2.50 was a more appropriate rate for me. I do support both wars, although not the Iraq war for the reasons given. I support that one because we said we would help the Shiite's in 1991 if they rose up against Saddam. They did and we didn't. They we slaughtered. I feel we just finally did the right thing and lived up to our word, even if the reasons given were different. In addition, people against the war say we rose up against Britain for our freedom, if people in other countries don't like their government they should do the same. The trouble is we didn't rise up alone. France helped (and only because they hated the British, not because they liked us). Neither really changed my opinion because both had twisted facts - taken parts of reality, mix them with their opinion and spit out their view of the truth. I probably had more issue's with Farenheit 9/11 because at times he went back to Flint, Michigan, near where I live and even spoke about a mall I use to work in and his portrayal of it as a rich mall was ridiculous. I actually live very close to a rich mall and the mall he talked about was nowhere near rich.

troyholc
calvert

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

troyholc wrote:
It was suggested I post this over here. Didn't think about it on the original post. Thanks for reminding me, MasterJedi! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone:

Alley brought it up and since it has little to do with the NEW POPE topic, I thought I would start a new topic. Here's some questions I was wondering:

1. Have you seen Farenheit 9/11? - Yes

2. Have you seen Farenhype 9/11? - No

3. Did your choice to see/not see either of the above films because of your political views or already formed ideas from the press coverage? - I like to hear all sides...even from those with an obvious agenda. Mike Moore is to the liberal left in the US...as Leni Reifenshtal was to the Nazi party...Moore is not a documentarian...he's a propagandist...and there's nothing wrong with that...just admit it.

4. What is your opinion on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? - War is an unfortunate by-product of the human race...we breathe oxygen, we exhale carbon dioxide, we procreate, we kill each other...the history of human-kind is a history of violence towards and subjugation of other humans. That said...I can easily see the justification for the war in Afghanistan...we know who's commiting these atrocities...try and hunt them down. Iraq is a little more of a grey area. I'm not one who chants "no blood for oil"...civilizations need certain natural resources to survive...right now there is no more important resourse than crude oil. I don't have a huge problem with going to war to protect and "watch over" one of the main oil sources on earth...just don't lie about it. Yes, Hussein used chemical and biological warfare agasint the Kurds and Shiites...I have no doubt he was looking to gain a nuclear weapon at some point...I know Hussein toyed with UN inspectors for 10 years never giving proof one way or the other that he had stopped looking for nuclear capability or dismantled what programs he altready had...I have no doubt he supported Hezbollah, Hamas, and other terrorist organizations...Hussein being ousted is not a problem. My only real problem is that my govt can't just come clean about all the reasons...and made up some. Sadaams govt had no relationship with Al Qaeda (other yes...but not Al Qaeda). It also bugs me that Haliburton was so involved in the "re-building" process. Look...I have no proof that Dick Chaney did anything illegal...but the fact that he doesn't see or care that it looks suspicious that Haliburton is making a killing off of this...really bugs me. Also, I think it's a little hypocritical that we invade Iraq...while we know damn well that Iran and North Korea either have or are very close to having nukes...and Syria and Iran are the biggest sponsors or terror on earth (Saudi's too actually). My govt also talks of freeing the people of Iraq from tyranny...right on I'm all for that. Seeing the reactions of the Iraqis as they voted really made me understand what a fragile and great thing it is to be able to vote in a "true" election. Meanwhile...a minor genocide is being perpetrated in the Sudan and no one...neither the US or the "holier than though" French and Germans do anything about it. Same with Rwanda 10 years ago. It's not just this Bush Admin....its all US admins since 1950 and all other govts in the free world (hello western Europe). I guess genocide really only matters in countries where there's an reconomic reason to do something about it .

5. Was your opinion changed at all by either film, or by someother media (like these message boards)? - No...and sorry my answer was so long...I kinda go off on this subject Embarassed

This can be hot button topic, but it seems to me from other post everyone hear respects that these are people's opinions.

Here are my answers:

I have seen both, although not in the theater. I chose not to see Farenheit 9/11 in the theater (Farenhype was never in the theater, at least not in my area) because I had heard Michael Moore on many news programs and didn't want to give him the $10 from the theater. Renting it for $2.50 was a more appropriate rate for me. I do support both wars, although not the Iraq war for the reasons given. I support that one because we said we would help the Shiite's in 1991 if they rose up against Saddam. They did and we didn't. They we slaughtered. I feel we just finally did the right thing and lived up to our word, even if the reasons given were different. In addition, people against the war say we rose up against Britain for our freedom, if people in other countries don't like their government they should do the same. The trouble is we didn't rise up alone. France helped (and only because they hated the British, not because they liked us). Neither really changed my opinion because both had twisted facts - taken parts of reality, mix them with their opinion and spit out their view of the truth. I probably had more issue's with Farenheit 9/11 because at times he went back to Flint, Michigan, near where I live and even spoke about a mall I use to work in and his portrayal of it as a rich mall was ridiculous. I actually live very close to a rich mall and the mall he talked about was nowhere near rich.

troyholc
-
rastus

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvert..fantastic answers on questions 3 & 4.

as long as their are intelligent , reasonable , sensible , logical people like yourself in your country..well then the world might still stand a chance of surviving.

i am more to the left than your opinion(although i only say that on the above opinion alone) but thats all life affords us mere minions of the powerful...opinions.

i don't justify either side, but as you say..it is time honoured human behaviour of the powerful.

if it is acceptable for america to attack people who support or organise terror organisations then it is rather hypocritical to be outraged when other groups attack american interests. their record as terror sponsors is appalling.
calvert

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastus wrote:
calvert..fantastic answers on questions 3 & 4.

as long as their are intelligent , reasonable , sensible , logical people like yourself in your country..well then the world might still stand a chance of surviving.

i am more to the left than your opinion(although i only say that on the above opinion alone) but thats all life affords us mere minions of the powerful...opinions.

i don't justify either side, but as you say..it is time honoured human behaviour of the powerful.

if it is acceptable for america to attack people who support or organise terror organisations then it is rather hypocritical to be outraged when other groups attack american interests. their record as terror sponsors is appalling.

Thanks for replying rastus...and for the kind words. It sounds like we both share a certain level of healthy distrust and skepticism for anyone in power anywhere. Too often in the US...people just follow the party line on every issue (Democrat is good...Republican is evil...or vice versa) and I think it's just a way to avoid having to educate yourself. I often wonder how people overseas view politics...not only in the US, but especially in their own countries / regions.

I know the US govt for the last 150 years (just like every single world power in history) has stuck its nose into every part of the world looking to maintain and/or put forward our interests. While doing so, we've supported (both covertly and overtly) some hideous right wing military govts around the world...in the name of stopping communism...and now in the name of stopping terror. Many of these govts...or in the case of the Contras...rebels...used small scale terror as a weapon against whoever the enemy was...which was oftern simply the people of the country. In every case though...both sides of the "conflicts" used these tactics...the US was no more or less dirty than anyone else.

The Middle East is a whole other kind of issue. For a large group of people over there...its 1198 and they're still fighting the crusades. I'm not sure you can negotiate with these elements and Im damn sure that the govts over there cannot contain these elements even when they agree to peace (Sadat didn't last long after he agreed to peace with Israel did he?). I'm not sure there's a solution to the problems over there. As long as the state of Isreal exists...this stuff will not stop. Isreal has as much a right to exist as the Palestinians...no one has ever made a convincing argument to me that both people's don't have legit claims to the land. The UN's solution in 1949 established states for both and it lasted less than a day before Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon attacked...and here we are 60 years later. Unless the rest of the world could agree to change the map & govts in that part of the world...terror will be with us. We won't agree to change the map...so we will have terror.

My main issue with the Islamic fundamentalists and the reason I support the effort in Afghanistan is the way Al Qaeda and the foreign insurgents in Iraq use terror. No other groups in history have used terrorist tactics to the scale and degree these groups have. They kill indiscriminately...historically other terror / shadow groups have been much more measured. Look at Northern Ireland, the Basques in Spain, even the former Yugoslavia...yeah the tactics were horrible and inhumane...but they tended to "kill" within the boundries of the conflict. Al Qaeda and the like strike all over the globe killing innocents by design. They had to know that in bringing down the World Trade Center they were killing Americans, Canadiens, Mexicans, Europeans, Asians...and especially other Muslims. They bomb in Africa, they bomb in Asia, they kill in Germany and over Scotland...and now they murder fellow Muslims in one of the holiest of their lands. Where in the Qoran does it say it's OK to kill other innocent Muslims??? Look what's going on in Iraq...these are insurgents from other Arab nations killing fellow Muslims on a mass scale...there is no justification that I've heard that can clear this through Mohammed. Jihad is against the infadel...not the Shiites....isn't it? The people who are perpetrating this type of terror are a different breed...a breed that never has and never will leave the Middle Ages...diplomacy here is just not an option I don't think. You either choose to ignore or engage. The US talked of engagement, but we ignored in large part because we weren't directly touched by it...until they brought the terror right to us. It's too bad that most of the earth's oil has to be under the "holy lands"...where they've killed each other in the name of god for 2,000 years, with no sign of let up. If all the earth's oil reserves were under...say...Australia...you think any major govts would care whats happening in Iraq, Iran,etc? We'd treat the Middle East just like we treat central and southern Africa...i.e. its too bad that they're killing each other like that, but there's nothing we can really do :<. That last statement is not just for the US govt...that covers, Britain, Germany, France, hell the whole EU, the UN, Russia, China...any and all economic, political, or military powers.

All govts work for their inherant self interests...and most importantly...all govts work to sustain their own power. I'm not liberal...I'm not conservative...I don't trust anyone that wants to wield governmetal power...whether he/she is American, Russian, Czech, Sudanese, Iraqi, whatever. Damn...once again...sorry I go off like this...I need to get a hobby Smile. Thanks again for continuing the conversation rastus...I think it's probably a healthy thing for people to discuss this stuff. Now...back to the hot hude women Laughing
troyholc

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Calvert Reply with quote

Calvert:

Thanks for the reply to my message. Very interesting answers. I completely agree with your recent statement about not trusting people in power, but unfortunately we have to have them there. If they weren't each person individually would be determining their own justice and everyone would live in terror.

The one thing I would like to see happen is a constitutional amendment banning all poltical parties. This would force everyone to run on their own values and beliefs instead of having this title that may or may not be the real way they believe. The perfect example is, do you believe John McCain and Sean Hannity think exactly the same and should both be looked at as Republicans? John McCain is a moderate, willing to listen to all sides before making a decision and will go against the party line if he feels it is best. Sean Hannity is of the mind set that he is right and if you disagree with him, your arguements just prove how stupid you are and how smart (and right) he is. But again these two are in the same party. I would have a lot more faith in our leaders if there were no political parties.

You also mentioned that people like Al Queda is still fighting the crusades. I don't completely agree with that. I do as far as them fighting Western Europe and the US (and they will come after the French considering they had more crusades start there than any other country in Europe). As far as the Israel issue though it goes much futher back: about 4000 years futher back. When Moses lead the Israelites out of Egypt they found the "Promised Land" or present day Israel. The trouble is Arabs already lived there, the ancestors of the Palastinians. The main issue I have the the peace-only/never war people in the US is they don't understand this. Yoou can be as kind as you want to every Muslim and Arab and give up on supporting Israel and it won't stop them from killing. They will still have this revenge issue of the crusades, and even if they didn't: do we really want to stand by and watch while once again every Jew is being exterminated, this time over a 5000 year old feud? i would not feel comfortable doing so, even though Israel has made many horrible choices (putting Jewish settlements right in the middle of the Palastinians and not expecting to anger them Question ).

Well, I am starting to ramble now, too. Thanks again for your response to my questions. I hope others do so. I would love to see how far this goes.

troyholc
calvert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Calvert Reply with quote

troyholc wrote:
Calvert:

Thanks for the reply to my message. Very interesting answers. I completely agree with your recent statement about not trusting people in power, but unfortunately we have to have them there. If they weren't each person individually would be determining their own justice and everyone would live in terror.

The one thing I would like to see happen is a constitutional amendment banning all poltical parties. This would force everyone to run on their own values and beliefs instead of having this title that may or may not be the real way they believe. The perfect example is, do you believe John McCain and Sean Hannity think exactly the same and should both be looked at as Republicans? John McCain is a moderate, willing to listen to all sides before making a decision and will go against the party line if he feels it is best. Sean Hannity is of the mind set that he is right and if you disagree with him, your arguements just prove how stupid you are and how smart (and right) he is. But again these two are in the same party. I would have a lot more faith in our leaders if there were no political parties.

You also mentioned that people like Al Queda is still fighting the crusades. I don't completely agree with that. I do as far as them fighting Western Europe and the US (and they will come after the French considering they had more crusades start there than any other country in Europe). As far as the Israel issue though it goes much futher back: about 4000 years futher back. When Moses lead the Israelites out of Egypt they found the "Promised Land" or present day Israel. The trouble is Arabs already lived there, the ancestors of the Palastinians. The main issue I have the the peace-only/never war people in the US is they don't understand this. Yoou can be as kind as you want to every Muslim and Arab and give up on supporting Israel and it won't stop them from killing. They will still have this revenge issue of the crusades, and even if they didn't: do we really want to stand by and watch while once again every Jew is being exterminated, this time over a 5000 year old feud? i would not feel comfortable doing so, even though Israel has made many horrible choices (putting Jewish settlements right in the middle of the Palastinians and not expecting to anger them Question ).

Well, I am starting to ramble now, too. Thanks again for your response to my questions. I hope others do so. I would love to see how far this goes.

troyholc

Im not sure we need a constitutional amendment...but I would love to see another party (or two or three) be able to rise up and be a legit force. Our biggest problem is that too often our elected "leaders" are more beholden to their party than their constituants...and of course most beholden to the big business $$$ that poors in to both parties. Anyone who thinks that the big oil companies aren't dumping huge amounts of money into both parties are foolin' themselves. NO party/politician is clean...they all owe someone. I had some hope with Ross Perot a few years back...thought maybe his indiv. wealth would keep him from having to compromise his ideals and plans in exchange for $$$...but he didn't have the stomach for the shithole that is a political campaign. I can't blame him...I wouldn't want to put my friends,family, or myself through that. I do kinda like McCain though...but the reasons I like him (independant thinking, won't follow party line, etc) are the same reasons he'll never get elected beyond where he is now...what party chief wants to have to deal with a rebel. The Republicans attacked McCain (a war hero) as hard as the Dems would have. He's not enough of a team player...i.e. he still has some integrity left. For all the differences that Republicans and Democrats play up between themselves...no two groups will ever work together more quickly and readily than D's and R's to make sure a third party does not gain a foothold.

Yeah...I know the Middle East thing goes back to Abraham & Issac/Ishmeal. So...both sides have claims going back to BC times. My comments about the Crusades were more specifically about the mindset. The Muslim/Arab Assasins rose up during the Crusades and used amongst other tactics...suicide / murder missions...just like they're doing today in Gaza, Iraq, the West Bank, and elsewhere. Everything you said here is correct though...the world can't turn their backs on Isreal (although they've shown they can take care of themselves to a large degree)...they have every right to exist. At the same time...the Palestinians have every right to their own homeland as well. Which they had in 1949...but they and otheres weren't satisfied with that. As long as Isreal exists...there will be Muslim extremism. The US and other Western govts will not turn our backs on Isreal and are not willing to just go into that region of the world and change all the govts and "eliminate" the extreme elements...so this kind of terrorism is here to stay...it's the world we live in.

I get turned off by the anti war crowd...but just as turned off by the loud elements of the pro war crowd. Im not sure anyone should be pro-war...all fired up to send soldiers into harms way. Unfortunately...human life on this planet has always and will always include warfare. It also bugs me when these "pro-war" people don't seem to understand or acknowledge that the US govt has done and continues to do some ugly and "immoral" things in order to acheive our ends. We've supported hideoius, violent dictatorships, covertly operated to remove and/or install govts, supported rebel groups that have used terror as weapons, etc. The US certainly isn't the only world power in history to do these things...all have and all will...it's part of the "game" of staying a world power. Every powerful gov't in the world is dirty somehow...that's just how it works. I agree with you though...as long as the US remains a two party system...we'll continue to have below average leaders and an electorate that follows a checklist when voting instead of investigating the issues. Good topic Troyholc...it's good to vent this stuff once in a while.
calvert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Calvert Reply with quote

Sorry...clicked submit twice
Freman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a line from the Pirates of Penzance, in the song of the pirate king.

"for many a king on a gilded throne, if he wants to call his crown his own, must manage somehow to get through, many a worse thing than ever I'd do"

My memory may not be entirely accurate but the general thrust is that those holding onto the reins of power will engage in less than moral activities.

I'm not sure if the Arabs of today are descended from the Caananites that Joshua and company dispossessed. Those left in the land at that time would probably have died in battle, the smart ones (probably the vast majority) upon seeing the Hebrew victory tally would probably have moved out into distant lands and interbred etc till their racial group was merged out of existence.

Ishmael's sons were in Edom and Midian, todays Jordon if I remember correctly. I think The Hebrew were even forbidden to attack them based on their kinship.

1492BC was the calculated year they came out of Egypt, that would put them in Caanan about 1450BC. They've dated the ruins of Jericho between 1550-1400BC which is close enough.
Zombie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this and it just make's me upset. I don't like Michael Moore, I don't like how he twist's things to make them to be what he believe's in. What I didn't like was how he put like poor middle class people are the one's who join the military and sent to fight a war. My biggest is these people didnt get drafted, they didnt have a gun to their head to join.

Also him showing that one mom who lost her son and then now she's all anti war cause her son was killed and it was like well what about the other soldiers why should just her son be brought back to her, it just really made me sick and upset the way he tries to protray everything to his likings or what he wants us to believe.

I support Bush all the way, and I know we can't just leave now we have to finish what we started.

Also the other thing he liked to push was we knew about threats well if we jumped to every single threat that was made to the US or what not then we might as well just live in a bomb shelter or something and be scared the rest of our lives.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a liberal. For those uninformed liberal means 'open minded'.

Anyway, I don't think either movie affected anyone's voting opinion.

Just like when people watch 'Super Size Me' they aren't going to stop eating at McDonalds. Everyone knows McDonalds is not good for your health, but people eat there because its convenient, for example, I swore off eating fast food this summer, and guess what? I went shopping with my brother about two days later, we were both starving by the end of the day, and where do we go? McDonalds... its kinda funny and sad at the same time...

Anyway, anyone who is serious about quitting a bad habit, do this, tell a close friend that the next time you do whatever it is you don't want to do, he gets to kick you in the nuts one-hundred times.

I actually did this to prevent myself from wasting money on video games, and my friend is holding me to it.

In case anyone is wondering, the reason I decided to give up video games is becuase...

1. They are expensive.
2. I've wasted enough of my life playing them.
3. Its not helping my love life any.

Gee... I sure got off topic there...

By the way, its 'Fahrenheit' not 'Farenheit'
THE WHITE GLYPHS OF DOVER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1